Custom Java Arguments

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Is there any way of adding custom Java load up scripts, as I run a modded server I have written my own load up which uses more Java functions so that my server can cope with the stress of mods.

Also the UI "Screen Resolution" for both the source and main application are massive and do not fit any of my server monitors. You could also move some things to another form to make the main form less "bulky". I would love to help you with this project also but my codding knowledge is very slim but I know how to do some stuff :) If you want to see something I have done this is something im working on: https://github.com/artdude543/Minecraft_UI

I have some other ideas floating about for this manager as-well, like possible "Splash Screen" for loading up, adding and up-time counter from when you "Start" the server. And I've got a few more :)

Thanks
artdude543
Coordinator
Apr 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM
It would br great to have you on board!

At the momebt there is no way to set custom start commands/parameters but I will create a work item for doing so.
Sorry to here that the GUI is too bulky for your screen - could you reply with mor details as to what you think should/could be shifted? I am aware the UI isn't the best so any help/suggestions are very welcome.

Up-time log will be part of an additional window that I am planning to add which will be a Statistics or Performance window. It will include all sorts of helpful information about performance, up-time, number of users, CPU use etc.

Thanks for your feedback - keep it coming!

Ed (project manager/creator)
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Edited Apr 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Hello :)
I would love to join in and help!, as for ideas on the UI this is what I see when using 2.1 on my laptop/server running screen res 1366 x 768.

And you can see there is huge chunk missing from the bottom. :/ I have tried playing about screen res changes but I have no monitors which fit the current size of the application. I think that the folder set up could be on a "Application Settings/Config" form where you could have the RAM changes and custom arguments as well. Also for the logs panels you could have smaller ones and have a button to in a sense "Pop" up a larger one If a server admin wants to see more info, I run a few servers and I don't really want to the the logs all the time, the console screen is the main one which needs to be "Front" and center. Also the players area could be moved to another form which could be accessible via a "Task Tray" (When a server is active) and a button on the form.

My main concerns at the moment the whole application is the "Bulky" and I think adding more buttons may also make the application less "desirable" there needs to be a balance of Forms/Buttons, also the "page" thing im not sure If I would use it but you could make that only appear if for example you "Tick" a box in the "Application Settings" form so Its like an "Opt" in thing. The form for all the stats of the server would be awesome as tracking CPU/RAM usage would be great for server admins.
Not sure if this is needed but you could add something where is the server crashes are hit a high RAM usage a pop up balloon comes up notifying the admin. (Just a concept) Also a cool looking "Splash Screen" could be cool, I have made one before so I could make that ;) As for "Updating" could you not use "ClickOnce" as that will install the application and the .dll and also check for updates and install them.?

Another question: How is the application currently saving "settings"? Because If I were to move my server to a new OS/Machine, would the settings follow? If not maybe having the settings save to a .yml/.cfg could be helpful

So yeah so on my ideas :) Hope you like them, and I will be grateful to help work on this and add some cool features :D

Thank You
~ artdude543
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Thanks for the screenshots & ideas - I am away from home for a while but will work on improving the UI when I am back. I won't use all of them for two main reasons:
1) If I did, there would be very little left on the main window which would be pretty pointless
2) I personally hate when an app has everything in lots of small separate windows. I much prefer having everything easily and directly accessible.

That said, the main window I agree is cluttered so I will develop something that is in between the two extremes. Please keep contributing and don't forget to follow the project so that you know when version 2.1 is released in a couple of weeks!

If you say you have a lot of mods/plugins to manage then you should definitely be using the comnand pages! Add a page for each mod/plugin then add command buttons relevant to those. It will mean you don't have to remember lits of different commands, parameters and will save a lot of typing. Remember you can specify required commamd parameters in square brackets and then you click your custom button it will ask you for values for those parameters. E.g. the teleport comnand looks like:

tp [Player Name] [Target Name]

Then when you click the button it pops up a window and asks you to fill in boxes for Player Name and Target Name - much easier and more reliable than trying to always type commands manually!

All settings get saved in per-server configuration files (one for each tab in Settings form - see documentation). All config is kept with the server except for the last used server folder & start/stop times. Basically, it's not an issue :) Oh and I hate ClickOnce - I have developed so that the app doesn't have to be installed so that even non-admin users can use it (as was my situation!) I can sort out updating easily enough without MS clutter :)

As for splash screens, the original point of a splash screen was to show the user something while an app loaded. My app has almost 0 load time so adding a splash screen is an unnecessary delay which I would find very annoying! A nice idea though for if the app has longer load time.

Thanks very much,
Ed
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Edited Apr 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Yeah I get your point about removing things to other forms, would make the "Main" form useless in a sense but some tidying up would do it good :) I have tried out some designs with the source from 2.1 and I see your point about the main window would look empty if items were moved to other forms. And having loads of forms would create a bad effect as you would have tonnes of windows open so that bad.

*Edit (Miss read your post)

I may look into using the commands feature but I can't reach or see the button ;)

When a version of this is ready to usage (Having the UI fixed) I may fork a version and create a custom one for my server as I only want certain features included. But I may stick the versions you produce :) If possible can I be added to the TFS? To see the latest things your adding and to give feedback on changes or help with some things :) And I see your point about the splash screen :) its not really needed for this as there is no "loading" in a sense. ClickOnce does have its pro's but again I see your point about non admins being able to use this Application and the MS code is a bit messy ;)

I'll keep a look out on the progress of the project and I will contribute in feedback and some coding if needed ;)

Thank You
~ artdude543
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I see your point about the Mods tabs - 80 tab pages would be rather a lot. But then again, most mods don't normally need any commands etc. They just need to be installed so I'm guessing that if you only added tab pages as-necessary then you would only have 5 or so which is manageable. Oh btw, the tab pages are another thing that is stored for the application as a whole, not per server so you can set up tab pages once and use them for all servers = less setup per server/for new servers :)

I'll see what I can do about the UI as soon as I get back home to my dev env and I'll add you as an Editor to the project which should give you access to download the latest from TFS. If submitting code through TFS, please Shelve it for review, don't check it in straight away.

Thanks,
Ed
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Edited Apr 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Thanks for adding me :) It seems I can't connect my Visual Studio to the TFS in using the info on the source page for connecting but I keep getting an error saying I don't have privileges to accessing the server :/

Any help?

Thanks
~ artdude543

-Edit

I fixed it my stupid "Virtual Keyboard" on my AV was messing up the password on my account its all working now :)
Coordinator
Apr 9, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Good to hear!
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM
I've just checked-in a new version to TFS which reduces some of the UI bulk a bit but mainly it is re-layed out so that everything can be shrunk smaller thus making it fit onto smaller screens (I'm reluctant to remove anything from the the main form since I use all of it quite a bit myself.) Anyway, the minimum size is now 982px wide by 600px high, so it should almost certainly fit on your screen :) (original min height was much greater, something like 900 px ish. )

Hope the new version looks better/fits!
Ed
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Yep, fits a treat! And looking grand :D I can finally play with it whoop! I'll set up my server on it soon to really test it out, and I might create a copy of the source to edit the java start-up to add my arguments for a temp fix. Until some sort of functionality is added the main application :) I'll send my my views and report on how it handles. Its still 1.4.7 so I can't use all the buttons on the app yet, but I'll give them all a press to see how things go :)

Another idea which I think would be very useful Is to be able to download "MinecraftForge" and install it, using the mod installer form. For minecraft and someway of downloading Bukkit for people using Bukkit. But yeah im going to have a play and report back on any bugs (If i find any) :)
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Been testing it out and it working perfect :) Had no issues so far.

I have also Shelved a change set :) Not sure how TFS notify's you about me submitting them :/ Not used it before lol
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Great! Good to hear that everything is working for you.

Regarding your shelveset:

I will not be including this shelve-set because the command is not a standard, Vanilla command. The default tab pages are only for default Vanilla commands so that the server manager application can be used with any Minecraft jar without disappointing anyone.

That said, I like the idea of having sets of commands to add for different, popular mods that we support (see homepage of this project's site @ www.manageminecraft.com for list of supported mods/servers). I will add a work item for the following:

Offer on start-up the option to add tab pages for supported mods including Bukkit, Tekkit, FTB Ultimate, Voltz and FTB YogCraft. These tab pages sghould use the existing framework of users adding custom tab pages, except that the buttons/tab pages are created programmatically.

This will allow us to create custom tab pages automatically without accidentally deceiving a user into thinking a command is available when it isn't. It will also mean that if these mod commands change, the user will be able to remove the auto-created one and add the new version.

On another note, I have just finished developing the Tests system so that the program can easily be tested against the mods listed and new/old versions of them. At the moment the tests do very little - just start up, try and detect "list" command then stop - but I will extend the set of tests such that all the Vanilla commands get properly tested and other features of the program too.
Coordinator
Apr 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Just released version 2.2 - you will probably won't to download it ;) Includes all checked in changes which you'll be excited to know includes:
  • Some of your changes for Xmx and Xms (although I adapted it to make the setting per-server rather than application-wide)
  • Automatic updating from ManageMinecraft.com - for future major releases, MCSM will automatically update so no need to check back for downloads!
Because the application checks for updates when the program starts, loading is now a bit slow. Fancy doing one of those nice splash screens you were talking about? Just with the MCSM logo as a nice big image (this image) and a loading spinner/bar or something?

Enjoy and thanks for your contributions!
Ed
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM
I have downloaded it and using it on my modded server :) But I think I have found a bug "ish" the RAM config seems to be a bit buggy and it keeps reverting to "192" and that should not be happening, I think something is going wrong from when reading from the server.properties im going to run some more tests with a new server properties. And I'll get back to you on that, also I will look into making a splash screen :) I have a cool idea for something
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Just make sure you have sufficient available RAM - the program limits the setting (check using Task Manager).
Sounds good - looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :)
Coordinator
May 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Well im sure I have enough RAM :) I think 32GB is plenty :P But it seems to be bugging when saving to the properties and I know that with a modded server sometimes certain mods can input data into that file which will mess up a lot of the configs for the settings form :/ I know you may not like the idea but I think the "Application" server settings should be written to a separate file like an .xml or .properties file to be on the safe side from reading/writing into the server properties all the time.

As for the splash screen I have an idea, but Im stuck on where to load it from on the main form code, I can't see where your loading the update check from (Unless im being blind) but in the loadup there is nothing showing your loading the update check :/ Or is it else where on the form? Once I know this I can start work on the splash :)

Thanks
Kieron
Coordinator
May 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM
When I get home I will shift non-Vanilla settings into a separate settings file then :)

See Program.cs - update code runs before the MainForm is even created!

Thanks,
Ed
Coordinator
May 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Please see latest check-in. Shifted Xmx and Xms to a mcsm.properties file and modified ServerSettings.cs (and the related forms and other code) to add extra indexer and methods for the new file. MCSM.properties is a key/value pair file like server.properties.

Ed
Coordinator
May 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Yep and its working a treat! Things seem to working well again :D, Also I did comment on one of the issues I make a shelve set just fixing two things :)
Coordinator
May 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Great! And yeah I saw this morning - just about to look at the changes now.
Coordinator
May 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Good spot with those bug fixes - just checked them in - good work!

Ed
Coordinator
May 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Im digging the new UI :) But one small issue it does not fit my screen res again :/ And It won't let me change it without having to move around all the items which I dont want to ruin your layout of the main form.

Could you fix please? :)
Coordinator
May 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Haha great! Very sorry - will fix this when I get home this evening.

Ed
Coordinator
May 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Hi,

Let me know if the latest check-in fixes it - the min height is set to the same as before (600px) but I'm not sure if the way the application does the form title adds to this height. It should be working - if not, add a screenshot and I'll sort it out.

Ed
Coordinator
May 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Hi, nope I still can't see the bottom of the window :/

As you can see the whole bottom is cut off, and it seems that some buttons are moving about too.
Coordinator
May 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Looks like you have a really mucked up UI there because the window is resized down (which is why the resize handle is visible in bottom right corner) but the controls are off the bottom and the main log boxes etc. in the middle are nothing like as small as they can go on my screen.

Make sure you have got the latest version of the code and that you have recompiled properly (to either release or debug depending on which you are running). There is no way I can reproduce that look on my computer. Please also make sure that if you open up design view in Visual Studio your UI looks like:

Hope you can fix your copy of the program - mine really doesn't look like that! (You can see the Add button in middle of screen is overlapping the Description label which is totally wrong.)

Ed
Coordinator
May 13, 2013 at 7:06 PM
(FYI, that is the view with the UI at it's absolute smallest - image size is real-size).
Coordinator
May 13, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Hi,

I've just checked in a new version with a few more tweaks and some hard-coded UI layout stuff to try and stop VS2012 relaying stuff out - design view seems to enjoy changing the layout of anchored controls every time I open the designer and I'm just thinking that may have happened to you and caused your problem. I've hard-coded the proper values into the MainForm constructor as a temporary fix.

Ed
Coordinator
May 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Edited May 14, 2013 at 12:44 AM
None of the changes work and I know why, My monitor is locked to 1366 x 768 and Visual Studio is locking the windows to that hence why Im getting this issue here :/ So I can't edit anything because of that.
Coordinator
May 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Hello,

I have fixed the UI size on my end now, I now made the form generic so it should work on all screen sizes. Like it should do all ready, but there is more of an bigger issue. Why is no server loading? I tried with a test server and It keeps failing to launch :/ Any thoughts?
Coordinator
May 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Yeah I seem can't to fix the error flagging up when trying to start the server, as you move some stuff around need to learn where it all is again :/ I can upload a shelve-set of my UI change if you want to have a look.
Coordinator
May 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Hi,
Very sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I have been very busy with my A-Level exams!

Anyway...
I will try and review any change sets you have submitted today. Do you still have a startup issue? Make sure you are compiling to 64bit else it will silently fail.
Let me know if this is still a problem and I will try to look into it.

Thanks,
Ed
Coordinator
May 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Hi,

Thats okay exams are more important :) I have shelved some changes I made to the UI. I have tested my changes on a wide range of monitors and it works on all the different resolutions. Some more tweaks could be made but its working fine, and I fixed the loading my VS was not building for x64 for some odd reason. Could be cos Im working on a x32 and its getting confused lol

Thanks
Kieron
Coordinator
May 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Just uploaded another change fixing the Settings Form UI
Coordinator
May 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Or not even for god reasons the settings form keeps bugging out on me. I edit something test it and it works then when coming back to it the stupid VS seems to screw up the form.
Coordinator
May 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Okay fixed the Settings form (See the new shelve set) Also just seen that I made a screw up I submitted the Main Form changes instead of Shelving :/ Sowwies :(
Coordinator
May 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Edited May 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Uploaded another shelve set for the Settings Form :) I hope you like the ToolTip idea
Coordinator
May 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Okay been working on a new idea for calling custom argments not sure if this is going to work but the code on the "SettingsForm.cs" follows:
public static string JavaString;
        public void JavaExtra()
        {
            if (JavaExtras.Text.Trim().Length == -1)
            {
                JavaString = "";
            }
            else
            {
                JavaString = JavaExtras.Text;
            }
        }
And im calling it on the MineCraftServer.cs
public int JavaExtra { get; set; }
The on the load up calling it here:
ProcessStartInfo ServerStartInfo = new ProcessStartInfo(@"java","-Xmx" + allocatedMaxRAM.ToString() + JavaExtra + "M -Xms" + allocatedMinRAM.ToString() + "M -jar \"" + JarFileName +"\" nogui -nojline")
I need to add the saving part (Unless you want to do that bit) Also do you think this would work Ive been testing it out by setting the value and the servers are loading but I can't seem to find a way to see if its loading the values I set. (Need some console window for devs to see the java command being issues in cmd or something)
Coordinator
May 29, 2013 at 12:10 AM
I have been very busy again with exam preparation today. I will review all your changes and get back to you tomorrow morning (about 12 hours from now).

Thanks,
Ed
Coordinator
Jun 1, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Any updates on things? Also posted a bug on one of my shelve-sets.
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM
I reviewed your changes but I believe I failed to submit any of them. I am getting back to development of this project this Sunday and the first thing on my list is to submit your changes. After that I will communicate about what to develop next.

Thanks very much for your patience, I'm sorry I have been quite so busy for so long!
Ed
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Its fine :) I've been helping out a texture pack to unstitch textures for 1.5, It will be nice to get back to developing this application :) Also if you want to talk about the developing about the app I have a Teamspeak Server which you can come on and we can talk voice to voice with the other devs if you want :) So I can't wait to get back to testing/deving! :D
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I have submitted a shelve set updating forms to use Metro look :) God dammit Visual Studio forgot to exclude some files :/
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Did you get the latest version before submitting? If not, please get the latest version and merge as you see fit - the last submit was a mess of many many changes in which yourself and other developers on the team had become very out of sync.

Thanks,
Ed
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Also, I am looking to release a new version this evening (i.e. within the next couple of hours) so if you could get back to me quickly that would be appreciated - I don't really want to delay V2.3 any further.

Thanks,
Ed
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Yeah it was the latest version from the TFS I deleted the whole folder and re-downloaded everything off the TFS 0_o so I was on the understanding i was using the latest source :/
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Okay - so long as your latest submission started from the latest version (from Saturday evening - which says 0 downloads by it?) that's fine.
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Yeah I download direct from the TFS, so on here it won't show that I downloaded from the TFS. But It is the latest and I've checked it now :) But Im confused on what servers won't start as well. I think I may of broke something when doing to UI changes :/
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Okay I will look over it. Probably something in the startup command that got broken. (Unless you mean the issue reported by one of our users - in which case, that is because they are running on V2.2 - the old release. Users download the last official release, not the uncompiled code submissions that we make. Launch bugs got fixed a while ago after V2.2 was released)
Ed
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM
I don't get any launch errors having combined with the latest version. Check your server settings and make sure your Java params are still okay. Try debugging the MineCraftServer Launch method and check the exception and the MineCraft server logs. Let me know what you find. I won't release V2.3 tonight - I'll delay until tomorrow so we can get this bug fixed.

I will commit your changes now. Then perhaps delete your folder and download directly from the site then unzip - TFS isn't always perfect at downloading from scratch.

Thanks,
Ed
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Okay I will delete the files and download from here.
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Okay In doing that my Visual Studio is confused now, its un-linked from TFS and wants me to re-upload all the files :/ I think in doing what you said has broken my source control on my Visual Studio and now its not allowing me to submit changes or detect if files have been changed on the TFS. I know this may sound odd or my confuse things but could we use GitHub for the source control then no one who has access to it can be out sync from each other. It would also be easier to manage bugs using the issue tracker :) Just an idea but I need to try and fix my TFS issue now :(
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1) You did close VS while you did it and put files back in the exact same location (potentially needs re-logon)?
2) No because:
a) CodePlex doesn't let us change source control
b) TFS is MUCH better than GitHub - I personally hate Git - horrendous product that doesn't integrate at all well with VS. TFS works perfectly fine - I don't know what you've done to your setup but you have had issues with:
  • Updating version of solution
  • Editing forms
  • Launching the program
  • Other things which I forget...
    Essentially what I'm trying to say is that something is very wrong with your setup - none of the other developers have had these issues (myself included). I suspect something in your work cycle is probably wrong (quite probably you are used to Git rather than TFS so are doing thing incorrectly/in the wrong order? Try reading a few articles / researching to find out if other have come up with what the actual problem is?)
Basically, I can't switch the source control even if I wanted to. If you closed VS while doing the switch-over that I suggested then you shouldn't have had any problems (except perhaps for re-directing the solution files to the correct drives on your computer but I'm not sure). If you really can't solve it by any other means, you could try deleting the TFS folder in the solution/project directories to make TFS forget the state - no idea if that will work. If it continues to want you to submit everything then use use Get Latest Version to update and make it happy.

More than that I cannot help I'm afraid - sorry! I really appreciate your help and development with this project0!
Thanks, Ed
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Okay my source is now fixed, but Im still getting the error or a server not starting. Im confused on what im doing wrong to be causing this. I'm confused by this and frustrated I don't understand on what I've done to of broken something. It works fine with the old version but the new one seems to be erroring.
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Wow, im shocked now I copied over the debug file over to my server and it launches servers fine, Is it that im running Windows 8? Or the fact im being stupid and doing something wrong here :'(
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Windows 8 shouldn't make a difference but can't be certain. If debug works, release will work with correct config. May seem like a silly question but you did remember to clean and build the solution in Release mode (x64)?
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Yes im cleaning and building using the Release Mode (x64), if you want I can give you Teamviewer and you can see for your self?
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Edited Jun 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM
No don't worry I found the issue for some odd reason it the application does not like "minecraft_server.jar" which it should as when you download it defaults thats the file name, but as soon as I re-name it to "minecraft.jar" the server loads no issue.

If fixed it by adding;

Files.ToLower().Contains("minecraft_server") ||

In the MinecraftServer.cs
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Okay great! The jar validation needs improving (has done for a while) but I will deal with that for version 2.4
Thanks,
Ed
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I have just released V2.3 - you should be able to just re-start MCSM and agree to download the update and it will handle the rest - auto-updating should work smoothly unless I have completely failed to anticipate some odd setup... It also updates the updater (worked out how to get that to work just now) so after this update you get the new updater in Win8 style :)

Anyway hope it works! If not, let me know and I will release a patch version. We are now moving to version 2.4 - this version will concentrate on bug fixes and UI fixes (some small bits are glitchy - I need to update to the latest version of MetraFramework) and also Maps improvements - as you rightly pointed out, some aspects are not very clear.

FYI, V2.5 will start to develop the Web Interface to be a more useful tool/access and introduce some form of player management/tracking and for Web Interface, security based on the player management. All rather complex but should be do-able!

Thanks for your hard work to get to this new version!
Ed
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Awesome! :D I'll update the version running on my server :) And I can't wait to start working on the next version I am planning on tweaking the UI's again I've noticed some things which need to be tweaked and edited. About the maps form I would help on fixing the layout but I have no idea what does what :/ But looking forward to adding new stuff to the app :D
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Great! Sorry if this sounds like a blindingly obvious question, but can I take it from what you say that you are actually using this software for your proper server? If so, great!! I possibly should've twigged/asked sooner but oh well :p

Anyway yeah don't worry about the maps form - myself and Michael (username Uhu) will handle that - Michael has done most of the work on mapping improvements so far so I will talk to him about how best to re-design the UI. Also, going back to a few messages ago, TFS does have very good Issue Tracking via the Issue Tracker page and also within Visual Studio they are called Work Items. You can associate work items with shelve sets etc. and edit/create them from within VS. I would like to see this feature of CodePlex/TFS used more by the team to better manage all the development tasks. I will start to create and assign tasks in the coming weeks as we begin development of the next version.

I hope updating works smoothly - technically the feature is still in Beta as this is the first time I have tried to release a proper update using the feature - it works on my computer. You should get a new "MCSM Updater 2.exe" file that replaces the old "MCSM Updater.exe" so the old one can be deleted once the update is complete. V2.4 will introduce better clean-up of updates though so no need to worry really.

Al lthe best,
Ed
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Also, please give the download a rating/review on CodePlex (if it lets you)! really helps boost status.

Thanks,
Ed
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM
I'll review with my alt account as can't on this one :) Also I've started work on the performance monitor stuff im going to do two lots one for the "Local" usage and another for the "Server" if running :)
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Okay great and also good but what do you mean by "Local" and "Server"??
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Should of worded that a bit better but what I meant was to show the stats of the "host" machine so like current ram/cpu usage and then another tab showing the values of the server running so the cpu/ram usage of the servers "java" process. If you're not a fan of the idea I can change to only show either the "host" or "server process" values.
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Edited Jun 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Okay that clarifies things - I'm happy with the idea. Please try to plan it and then create work items for the small sub-tasks. Assign each item to yourself and list it for version 2.4. Then when you start work on each item, set the status to Active. Finally, when you create shelve-sets, associate the items (Work Items) with the shelve-set. This way we can keep track of things much more efficiently/successfully and I can more easily update the What's New list.

In future, please create a new discussion with relevant title. This discussion stream has become excessively long and has been totally unrelated to the original question for quite a while!

Thanks,
Ed
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Okay will do boss :) I will create the task now and create others from now on :)
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Last post from me on this discussion, could we find some better way of communicating with each other? Like using Teamspeak, IRC or any other chat things out there? Just to make talking to each other a bit easier than having to using these discussions.
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I use Skype as my main VoIP/Chat application if that works for you? Otherwise, please link me to the software you would prefer and I will see if I can get it to work.
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM
I will install Teamspeak tomorrow or on Sunday then when I get the chance - it is getting very late here so I won't try tonight. I deleted your message so that other's cannot see the password (and so Google doesn't cache/index it!) I have it in my email still.

Thanks,
Ed
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Not got around to doing this yet - Sunday was extremely busy. I will try and make time tonight.

Ed
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Okay :) If you need any help you know where to find me.
Coordinator
Jul 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Are you around to come on TS quick?
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM
I just saw you join TS, was having dinner im back on now :)
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM
You around really need to talk to you :/
Jul 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Edited Jul 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Custom Java arguments:

Love the simple interface for this Server Manager. Its easy to use and works well. Thank you all for your work on this.

Did anyone ever add the lines for custom java startup commands?

Memory setting for java seems to be a bit flaky.....
Coordinator
Jul 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Thanks! We added code for custom memory arguments but code for further custom command options is in development. So far we are struggling to really find a good example of where you would need to set a totally custom java start command - if you could supply an example that'd be great! Currently the start command consists of the java program name (corrected for Oracle's faulty installer), the server path, min and max memory arguments and things like --nojline.

As far as I'm aware the memory setting is only flaky if you don't actually have enough physical memory. If you can find a reproducible situation in which the memory setting misbehaves it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your feedback! Glad you like the UI!
Ed
Jul 26, 2013 at 4:19 AM
Thanks for the reply Edward-

Yes, I think I can suggest some options to include for the launch of java. I am new to minecraft... Been playing with it due to my wife and kids being addicted to it. I think I can provide you with a few routines to optimize the startup based on CPU architecture, ram, os, volume type, and hdd type. This would greatly increase the reliability and speed of minecraft. My main forte is IT work. I haven't looked at the source code yet, what language is it written in? I'll look at the routines this weekend. Love to help on this project.

Thanks

Aaron Gilfillan
Cheyenne, WY

On Thursday, July 25, 2013, EdwardNutting wrote:

Thanks! We added code for custom memory arguments but code for further custom command options is in development. So far we are struggling to really find a good example of where you would need to set a totally custom java start command - if you could supply an example that'd be great! Currently the start command consists of the java program name (corrected for Oracle's faulty installer), the server path, min and max memory arguments and things like --nojline.

As far as I'm aware the memory setting is only flaky if you don't actually have enough physical memory. If you can find a reproducible situation in which the memory setting misbehaves it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your feedback! Glad you like the UI!
Ed

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2013 at 4:38 AM
Edited Jul 26, 2013 at 4:38 AM
I would love to hear/see your thoughts! Im working on adding custom java arguments but as this thread is getting long and contains so old thoughts please use this new thread for talking about this topic :) https://mcsm.codeplex.com/discussions/451464

Thanks
artdude543